Episode 135 is all about playing well with others, social cues, and respect…in other words: Etiquette 101 for DJs!
We can all think of at least a handful of DJs we know or have seen that violate everything we consider to be good etiquette. But, do we know what it really means to practice “good etiquette”, in and out of the booth?
- Approach the booth humbly, and with appreciation. You wouldn't be there if it weren't for a number of factors. Check the ego!
- Understand what is expected of you. Sometimes, the best way to make sure everyone is happy is to make sure everyone knows what is expected. Just going in to a situation blind can lead to some faux pas moments.
- Respectfully communicate issues. It's easy to get frustrated or let tempers fly in the heat of the moment. It's also easy to just play and leave. But, by properly communicating issues and letting the right people know what they are, respectfully, you save yourself a lot of headaches and potential arguments or bad PR.
- Crowd control is especially important…in that you balance the expectations of those who may not be in to what you're doing, or worse, properly handling overly intoxicated partiers.
- Make sure that if you're going to call yourself a DJ, that you have some mixes and promote them properly. Don't just SPAM.
- Always be managing your brand & proper PR — Who you are, in public, is who you are as a DJ….for better or worse.
- Help and Encourage Others – By helping others, you're helping to carry on the craft and raising the bar for everyone. And, that helpful spirit often pays forward and usually comes back around.
*** This week's episode is brought to you by Bandzoogle. Get 15% off your stunning new DJ website using the promo code PASSION. ***
Also: MERCH NOW AVAILABLE @ Passionate DJ's Store