In Episode 72, we’re coming up on the holidays and the end of the year, so we thought this might be a good time to do some reflecting. In doing so, we talk a little bit about the habits that we have now and wish we had earlier.
First, we hit some of the major news affecting DJs, right now:
1. Soundcloud now allows DJ mixes – this is HUGE, but is it too little, too late?
2. A bankrupt SFX re-emerges from Chapter 11 with a blank slate and new leadership as LiveStyle Inc. What does this mean for EDM in America?
3. A fellow Midwest DJ and old friend of Trip’s, The Black Madonna (formerly known as Foursquare) broke the Resident Advisor DJ Poll top ten!
And, almost right after this episode was recorded, she was also named Mixmag’s DJ of the Year for 2016. She is one of the hardest working DJs in the industry, ever since Trip can remember playing dirty warehouse raves with her over a decade ago.
She’s been at the forefront of the Chicago club scene, traveling the world sharing her sound, playing Boiler Room sets, and standing up for women’s issues in the music industry, and life, in general. CONGRATS MAREA! Very well deserved, and there’s still nowhere to go, but up.
So, as mentioned, this episode is about habits we wish we had before now.
1. Using the cue/mix function on mixers that support it.
2. Looking at, or interacting with the crowd.
3. Get out of your comfort zone.
4. Scheduling and time management.
5. Take a little time before purchasing digital music.
6. Mini-Practice sessions (especially useful for learning to scratch).
7. Learn to make a mix sound good without effects.
8. Live in the moment! Enjoy yourself!
9. Know your tracks backward & forward.
10. Protect your hearing!
11. Contracts to protect yourself.
What are some habits that you have established that took your game to another level? What are some you wish you had?