In this episode: we take a voicemail about motorized controllers, David discusses how he fits DJing into his “work life”, Mo Dingo tells us about some frustrations at a recent mobile gig, and we discuss the struggles of “lone wolf DJs”.
Also… Can you get paid for online DJ mixes? Soundcloud recently announced the expansion of a revenue-sharing program to include “artists who create ‘recorded and live sets, remixes, and other user-generated content.'”
Struggles of Lone Wolves:
– It’s hard. It’s a lot of work.
– Less events to use as examples
– Useful feedback is at a premium
– The idea factory is a one-man show
– Much smaller data pool to base decisions/less crowds to observe
– Limited promotional power
– Lower chance of having an “in” somewhere
– Less social media reach/launch power
– Forge a unique path… blaze a trail
– Learn your market & build to suit
– Fully realize your ideas and drive them home
– … But know when to try new things
– Invest in decent portable sound rig (you might have to “go mobile” sometimes)
– Know when to buy or hire your way out of something
And finally, when you're struggling as a standalone DJ without any help, you can always reach out to your online community… and Passionate DJ is here for you!
Ask questions on our show notes, blog posts, SoundCloud…
Tweet at djwithpassion
Leave us voicemail
… and together, we'll become better DJs through passion and purpose!