Episode 14 – Do You Hear What I Hear?
Back in episode 13, I answered a call from Joseph regarding sound quality. He asked when it’s worth it to invest in high-end audio gear (like sound cards, mixers, etc.) But the question I actually answered had to do with production sound (speakers, amps, etc.)
Duh. Apparently I wasn’t paying attention that day.
So, rather than just write a corrected answer, I decided to dedicate this entire episode to all things sound quality… including a re-answering of Joseph’s question.
In this episode, we dive into:
- NAMM 2015 gear & a new Frankie Knuckles film
- Confusing terms in the digital audio world
- Analog vs. digital, and how you get from one to the other
- Comparisons of mp3 bitrates (with examples)
- How to keep a “front-of-house guy” (sound engineer) happy
- Sound quality causes and concerns for DJs
- If/when you (the DJ) should invest in expensive, high-end audio gear
- My opinion on what types of files are “acceptable” to play out
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Episode 13, where Joseph asked his original question
- DMC Online DJ Championships – dmcdjonline.com
- Digital DJ Tips – great resource for digital DJs
- and the demonstration video I created: